Sunday, July 20, 2008

in the clear

Whew! Our dog looks clear of any cancerous cells! Thank goodness. It looks like, the vet said, just an infection. Hopefully the antibiotics we got from the vet do the trick. My dog is the absolute worst at taking medication! If you put his pills in something delicious, he'll eat the morsel carefully, finding the pill, spit the pill out and finish his treat. I've resorted to prying his mouth open shoving all three pills down his throat, clamping his mouth shut until he swallows. This tactic has worked so far. Except that this morning, he tricked me into thinking he had swallowed the pills and then he spit them out. Twice. My next step will be crushing his meds into a powder and mixing them with something. If that doesn't work....hopefully that works.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, the pooches! Glad to hear he is doing better!
I literally have to shove my hand down my dog's throat so that he'll swallow pills. It is a feat only I have mastered...my husband just laughs and laughs :)

Jo said...

In a recent stroke of genius, my husband figured out that if you put the pills in the center of a mass amount of peanut butter on a cracker and make sure the dog eats the cracker (instead of licking the peanut butter from the cracker) which usually involves shoving the cracker into his mouth - he will inadvertantly eat the pills! It's still forceful but at least he gets some peanut butter out of it and he seems more willing for it! Where would I be without the loyal love of my pooch?

Lisa said...

Huh. I'll have to try that becuase he would always lick around the peanut butter, cheese block, ham roll, whatever we shoved the pill in. The only pill he eats well is his heart worm :)