Monday, October 26, 2009

troubles in potty training

More struggles in toddler world. Potty training. Uhg! He was doing so well! That is, until the concept of pooping in the potty was introduced. Here's what has happened since then and how we have digressed:

8AM
Little Boy running around with no diaper on.
Mom trying to encourage, coax and bribe little boy on to potty. He clearly has to go. And little boy, going on the potty is so much fun!
Little boy refuses to go into bathroom.

8:05
Mom against her better judgment grabs potty from bathroom and brings into kitchen where little boy is.
Little Boy still running around with no diaper looking somewhat interested but still refusing to sit on potty. Still clearly has to go.

8:07
Little boy: clearly pushing
Mom: giving up on the potty tries with all of her might to encourage little boy off of carpeted area and onto linoleum.
Little boy poops on carpet.
Mom picks up poop with wipes, goes to bathroom flushes said mess, moves potty back into bathroom where it belongs.
Little boy continues running around with no diaper.

8:09
Little boy excited: pee pee on potty!
Mom excited: let's go pee pee on the potty!
Little Boy: No, floor. Pointing to where the potty just was in the kitchen.
Mom tries to explain the potty belongs in the bathroom while trying to convince little boy into bathroom.
Little Boy begins whining. Quickly turns to screaming. Screaming becomes full fledged tantrum.
Mom carries little boy into bathroom to show him where the potty went.
Little boy is still very upset. Will not sit on potty. Any attempts to push this by Mom are met with more enraged screaming.
Mom decides it is time for a diaper. This is met with more upset from Little Boy. Mom diapers little boy anyway.

8:15
Little boy is diapered playing with blocks, content.

I wish I could say that this was the first occurrence of this in our household. The truth is I have cleaned poop off my floor the last 4 days in a row. That doesn't bother me so much as the tantrums. And worse, I'm not sure what to do. I think the Little Boy is just more comfortable pooping while standing. What's a mom to do?

I can say however, I have learned some things. He responds better when I don't change things (moving the potty is a BIG mistake). And he also seems to calm more quickly when I make command parent decisions and quickly. Ex. Despite his upset diapering him.

Sigh. This too shall pass...



4 comments:

Anna said...

My daughter was potty trained for a year before she got comfortable pooping in the potty. It isn't easy. Try to stay patient, even though it is hard, and good luck!

Jo said...

Thanks! Mama can use all the support she can get!

Nathan M McTague said...

I've had three daughters who each "potty-trained" differently. With our youngest we actually used elimination communication so she was diaper-free (except for bed-time) from infancy. I think, even with the random accidents, that this has been my favorite method. It is really hard for kids, after they learn to just ignore their bodily functions, to pick up and start tuning in, anticipating, and choosing a proactive path. It will pass, as you say, and soon be nothing but anecdotal - thank goodness.
In the meantime, I would suggest not making it an issue, and when he goes, try to make it fun, together time (reading books or continuing a pretend, etc.). I wouldn't use any bribes as this disconnects the kid from their own intrinsic motivation for going. And I wouldn't do too much reminding, as this creates resistance (especially if he has a good strong will).
These things do eventually work out just fine - you merely have to do what is necessary to make it as smooth for everyone as possible (including you!) while you're waiting, and "let nature take its course," so to speak. Good luck. I'm sure you'll emerge diaper-free in the end.

Jo said...

Thanks Nathan for your comment and advice! I'm definitely going to look into elimination communication if/when we have more children. In the meantime, I appreciate your feedback - thank you again for your support and advice!