Friday, April 4, 2008

the thick of living and the objects we love


Celebration! Hubby got the job! He found out on April Fool's day. So far as we know it wasn't an April Fool's joke. I am looking forward to adapting to a new schedule in our family - one in which we go to bed before midnight and are up before 10. Yeah, we've been sleeping like a bunch of college freshman in this house and that's gonna end soon.

I am hoping (and have been for a very long time) that we will be looking to get a new couch. It occurs to me suddenly though, all of the history we have with the old one. It's just a hand me down futon from the Mister's parents. They had it for years and I would prefer to not think about what they have done on that couch. But I love to reminisce about me and my man; first awkward kisses, cuddling on snowy days, naps in the sun. My baby boy was almost born on that couch - we had him in our hallway instead - but we rested for the very first time and cuddled and nuzzled as a family on that couch right afterwards. (In the couch's defense, my placenta was born on the couch. Someday, I'll have to share our amazing birth story.)

our couch with all our animals on board

I dream of a nice new couch - one that doesn't have a slip cover to hide the holes and stains, a couch whose pillows are new and fluffy instead of lumping and thinning. One that we get to pick instead of one we take because we need it. But I must admit that as we get closer to this goal, I am sad to think about not having our old trusting friend whose stains and imperfection hold our stories and history. sigh. I felt the same way when I gave up my purple chair. It was the first piece of "real" furniture I bought on my own. It was over the top huge and purple and I loved it.

I am fascinated and fond of the objects in our lives. The ones that we generally ignore but always prefer. I especially like to know about people's favorite coffee cup. You know the one you pick every morning. And that one morning it's not available for whatever reason, you suddenly have this hunch that it's not going to be a very good day.

On a different subject, my little boy who is 5 months old is wearing 12 month clothes. I have a ginormous baby. He is big and beautiful. I get sad about giving up my favorite outfits that he can no longer wear too. It's a sort of wonderful little melancholy, to know that things must change and that everything is changing for the better but to still be a little sad and miss the way things were. It's really a wonderful place to be. In the thick of living and appreciating the journey.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Very cute post, especially about the couch. We too had a couch that had "been around the block a few times" and I was not sad to see it go.

Congrats to you hubby on his new job!