Tuesday, August 19, 2008

huh?

I'm going deaf. It may be psychological, actually. It seems to be specifically my husbands voice that I don't hear. Well, at least not very well. I'm lucky I married such a patient man because I must say, "huh" or "what" to him at least two dozen times a day. Since he's pointed this out to me, he's stopped repeating himself after I ask him what he's just said. We sit in an awkward silence for a few seconds...it turns out I do hear him. I just have an automatic reflex of asking him to repeat himself. After the silence and some time passes, I can usually put together what it is he's just said. It's actually about 50/50. The other half of the time I'm guessing, grasping at straws really. It makes for some great conversation though. Like this one:
In our bedroom. Getting ready for the day.
Husband: Honey, where are my jeans?

Me: Beans?

Me: huh?

Husband: shakes his head in disbelief

or this one...

Husband: Don't forget to take your car in tomorrow.

Me: pausing....thinking...and then, "What about the garbage?"

I try really hard folks. And the worst part is, it seems to happen mostly with my dear (again, very patient) hubby. What can I say? I'm glad he has a sense of humor.

No comments: