Thursday, December 3, 2009

home again

I've been finding that when I try to put down full coherent thoughts lately I've been rambling...then I get lost, so I ramble some more in an attempt to find out where I was going. This little pattern has lead to lots of unfinished (but long) posts. So in an effort to finish (oh, I struggle with this everywhere. all the never completed...what mom doesn't? that's another post in and of itself...see! the rambling!) oh, yes, finish! I will be attempting a little different format. Something akin to my beloved lists!

Home
Returning to our new home after a road trip to our old home town.
Seeing our old home and town with distance, new eyes and fresh perspective. I'm left appreciating our new place in the world. The quaint of a small town. The beauty that surrounds our new home. A home that fits us perfectly (including room to grow). Our big family bed!

The new home and the dreams that go with it: move kitchen, change flooring, put in another bedroom, contemplate having more children, garden, garden, garden.

I'm left from our trip also thinking about the concept of home. The home of my childhood and places I have called home as I have grown into adulthood. What makes a home? What is important to me that I cultivate in our home for my family?

I'm also thinking about how I return to homes from my past with sporadic regularity. Returning to homes from my past always gives me perspective; remembering where I was then, the realization of where I am now. There is joy for the journey and longing for what was all bundled in that instant of seeing an old shell that I once occupied. What makes a home for you?

And also...
In an effort to celebrate what I have completed I will be paying tribute here.

Taking my sewing machine in to have it cleaned for the first time ever! It was a hand-me-down from my mother and I remember I was 11 when she got it. That means its 18 years old! Needless to say the machine is super grateful and now sews like a dream!

I was able to finish this apron that I started sewing 3 years ago...I have many more in the works and am hoping they will not take nearly as long to complete.

No comments: