Thursday, May 15, 2008

unhappy baby

A sick little fuss-pot of a boy. An experiment in patience and sleep deprivation. When I dreamed of parenthood I imagined myself much more saint like in these situations and in my head the common cold didn't last this long. Also I had the power to cure coughing with sheer momma love. Apparently, I haven't quite developed those powers yet. As I wait for them to develop I have been mindful of self talk. Replacing thoughts like "I can't do this" and "I didn't sign up for this" with things like "this won't last forever" and "some day I'll really miss this" or "whatever you need to do little boy (cry between coughs for hours on end in the wee of the night and then refuse to go back to sleep), momma loves you" "I'm here".
I've also been telling myself that this is not a form of psychological warfare but it is a test of endurance, strength and love. Thankfully, hubby and I are still on the same team - we haven't turned on each other yet...hopefully, we can outlast the common cold.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

It really helps to have your hubby on your team, especially during the tough times. You are right, this time won't last forever, but it is sometimes hard to see that when you are in the middle! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!